Tuesday, August 2, 2022

QRadar SOAR: How to increase partition size by using a new disk on RHEL with LVM


Steps to add a new hard disk to LVM on IBM Security SOAR appliance running Red Hat Linux with LVM support:

1. In vSphere client, add a new hard disk at Virtual Device Node SCSI (0: 1).

2. SSH to the server.

3. Get the host bus number:
sudo grep mpt /sys/class/scsi_host/host?/proc_name
The response is similar to

4. Rescan for new disks on host bus 2:
echo "- - -" > sudo /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/scan

5. Make sure new disk /dev/sdb is added to the system:
sudo fdisk -l

6. Create a new partition on /dev/sdb with file system type 8e (Linux LVM):
sudo fdisk /dev/sdb

Command (m for help): n
Select (default p): p
Partition number (1-4, default 1): 1
First sector (a-b, default a): [Enter to use the default value]
Last sector, +sectors or +size{K,M,G} (a-b, default b): [Enter to use the default value]
Command (m for help): t
Hex code (type L to list all codes): 8e
Command (m for help): p
Command (m for help): w

7. Create a physical volume for LVM:
sudo pvcreate /dev/sdb1

8. Get the volume group name (VG Name):
sudo vgdisplay

9. Extend the 'resilient' volume group by adding in the physical volume of /dev/sdb1:
sudo vgextend resilient /dev/sdb1

10. Scan all disks for physical volumes:
sudo pvscan

11. Check the volume group name (VG Name) again to make sure free space is added:
sudo vgdisplay

12. Display the path of the logical volume (LV Path):
sudo lvdisplay

The following assumes that you want to split the new disk over the three logical volumes.

13. Extend the logical volume for multiple logical volumes:
sudo lvresize --resizefs --extents +80%FREE /dev/resilient/root
sudo lvresize --resizefs --extents +100%FREE /dev/resilient/co3

The previous commands allocate 80% of the extended space to "/dev/resilient/root" LVM, and then allocate the rest 20% to "/dev/resilient/co3" LVM.

14. Display the disk space usage to ensure new space is added:
sudo df -h





No comments:

Post a Comment